Log in

No account? Create an account
Day 67 - Alex Morris [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Alex Morris

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Day 67 [Jan. 26th, 2006|09:25 pm]
Alex Morris
I was woken up around 5am, when Matt came running into my room excited about something. It took me a couple of seconds to realise what he was saying.

"We got someone!"

What? Someone else was out there, out where we could see them? It had been over a month since we had any new contact. I jumped out and ran to the monitoring room.

"...looking for help. There's 3 of us. We are at Broadmeadows Station. Lost count on how many out there. We are unarmed, and uninjured. If anyone can here us, please respond."

I stared at Matt in disbelief. They were so close. We had to do something.

"We should probably go out and help them." Tom spoke. I hadn't notice him come in. He was right none the less. Matt reached for the radio, and told them to stay put, as someone would be over to help them.

We decided to forego the counting of supplies this morning, and instead focused on how to get the people and get them back.

The best part of checking outside every morning, is you get a list of the movement of those things, which tended to come in waves. For 3 days, there's a slight increase, then the next 5 they leave. We dubbed it the High Tide, and Low Tide, respectively. It's not really scientific, and it's a rough estimate, but it's the closest to a system we had.

We were on Day 5 of the Low Tide, so if we were going to go out and do it, it had to be now.

I dressed in my Lace Up boots, and jeans, and pulled my hoodie on. Fortunately summer this year wasn't the hot ones we're used too, otherwise I'd probably die of dehydration, before anything else.

Over breakfast, we laid out a map to find out the best route. If we took the road, we'd run into those things for sure, but if we went through houses, it'd slow us down. Through the houses was probably the best bet. Even though it was slowly, it was marginally safer.

As soon as we were done, we headed off. I had my sling bag over my shoulder. It was packed with some bottles of water, and some health bars.

The trip over was rather uneventful. Those things tried to follow us for a bit, but we lost them as we ducked into a house. I made a note of the place to come back to for supplies, as it seemed relatively intact.

We arrived at the station, but failed to take into account of a 10 foot high fence on this side of it. It was installed to stop people jumping over the tracks, they didn't just take into account of todays problems. I didn't want to cut it either, as it would probably serve as a barrier to those things if they every tried to come this way.

We found a house opposite the station, and set up there. Matt picked up the CB radio, and tried to raise them. After the longest 30 seconds of my life, they replied.

"We are still here, yes. There doesn't seem to be any of them around here. The banging died down sometime last night"

Matt asked if they were still uninjured.

"Yes, we haven't opened the shutters since we got here. How far away are you?"

We told them that we should be there soon, and to get ready to move.

I had Tom stay behind, and keep an eye out. I gave him the second radio to let us know if anything was in our way, or would be.

The actually rescue went by smoothly. We climbed the fence, and went across the tracks to the shutters. We called them, and they opened up.

There were 2 men, and 1 woman, all malnurished. They all seemed happy to see another face. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't happy either.

We crossed the tracks, and with a bit of help, were able to get over the fence, and back to the sfe house to pick up Tom.

On the way back, we were forced to stop in another house, as a large number, probably 10, of those things were out. They seemed preoccupied, and didn't stop and look around for us.

We arrived home not much later, and I offered our new comers a place to rest. They all fell asleep as soon as their heads hit the mattresses.

We'll find out their story tomorrow, but for now, I've set up a rotating watch on them.

From: benitora
2006-01-30 11:28 am (UTC)
Hooray, Matt didn't die yet!
(Reply) (Thread)
From: (Anonymous)
2008-09-23 04:59 pm (UTC)


good read so far keep it goin
(Reply) (Thread)